14 May 2012
Dr. Luh Putu Upadisari will speak on the work of Yayasan Rama Sesana
Yayasan Rama Sesana was founded in Bali in 1999 by its Director, Dr. Luh Putu Upadisari, an MD with many years of experience in reproductive health & HIV/AIDS. Their mission is to:
- Increase community knowledge about reproductive health,
- Improve community reproductive health with high-quality, accessible, and affordable services
- Support women’s empowerment, and equality between men and women.
- women market vendors & laborers (including some night workers involved in sex work),
- male partners of clients,
- male market workers,
- visitors, shoppers (open to the public)
YRS clinical services include:
- Counselling: anatomy, STDs and HIV/AIDS, violence against women, drug abuse, self breast exam, nutrition, breastfeeding, etc.
- Pap smears to screen for cervical cancer
- STDs and reproductive tract infections: exam, testing, treatment, and partner referral
- Prenatal care: birth planning, contraception, condoms
- General health check up
- Referrals for further services or testing.
An education and outreach program includes:
- Monthly discussions on a range of topics, facilitated by staff or guest speakers
- Staff outreach to workers, at variable hours
- Peer educators (market women)
In the next five years YRS plans to to increase their impact by expanding these services beyond Denpasar.