Bulletin 08 May 2017
Rotary Club Bali Ubud Sunset
District 3420 / No. 79571
Meetings on the 2nd Monday of the month at Kakiang Garden Café, Jl. Andong at 5:30 PM
And the last Monday of the month at Maya Resort & Spa, Ubud at 5:30 PM
“Some people care too much. I think it’s called love.” Anon
Bulletin May 8, 2017
ANNOUNCEMENTS, CORRESPONDENCE, REPORTS
Bruce opened the meeting by welcoming everyone including two guests: Anthony, RTN Renee’s husband that was visiting from Australian and Ray Bishop, RTN Sue’s husband. He also announced that two of our members have birthdays this month AND on the same day:
- Renee – 6 May, and
- Judith Schneider – 6 May.
Bruce then mentioned that he was now audio recording our meetings and Board meetings. This will take the place of actual written minutes.
It was also mentioned that Bruce and RTN Abe had attended the Rotary District Assembly in Sanur and that it was announced that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation was matching donations 2 to 1 for the Rotary’s End Polio Now project. This means that if you donate 1M rp, they will match with 2M rp giving a total contribution of 3M rp!
We have an update on our joint John Fawcett Foundation joint project with RC Seminyak club. RTN Dora told us that the total for 1 village visit would be 25,500,000. A visit will last two days and they can accommodate up to 500 adults and all school children. In the past a village’s visit has provided 70% new glasses, 40% for medicine, and 10-15% for cataract operation. We also must provide meals and snacks for the JFF personnel, the Pecalang and the Kepala Desa. The total is 26,000pp. Dora will visit the village we are interested in this week and make all the arrangements. We are hoping that the JFF visit will be no later than June 15th and we will keep everyone posted so you will be able to attend if desired. T Allan has contacted the Seminyak club to arrange to receive their half of the cost.
Allan announced that our special Turnover Meeting will be held on Sunday, 11 June 9:30-11AM at the Maya and will include their incredible breakfast buffet for all. (There will be no 12 June meeting) Normally the charge at Maya is 240,000rp for this breakfast, but each of us will pay just 100,000rp. and our club will pay the difference. Since we want to continue the tradition of having our turnover with our Rotaracts turnovers, he is asking if anyone can sponsor a Rotaract for 50,000 to 100,000rp each, let Allan know if you can. Bruce, as outgoing president will say a few words and then ‘handover’ the President’s pin to Allan. Allan will then talk about his plans for the coming year and his new Board of Directors. This will be followed with the Rotaracts doing the same for their club.
Allan also talked about upcoming dues. He said the 1.5M rp. per year dues are due June 30, but to make it easier, we should all pay our dues by 15 June.
Bruce then gave a summary of last week’s Board Meeting:
- We still have about 110M rp to fund projects that we have already approved.
- Money from our 3rd Annual Christmas Fundraiser (23M rp) will all go to our projects
- We discussed if we should change our meeting schedule – we will keep it to 2 per month
- We discussed if we should move our meeting because of Bali holidays – we will only move or cancel meetings for Nyepi, Christmas, and New Year’s.
- Allan will send out very soon an email discussing his coming year as president and his board of directors
- Should we raise our club’s annual dues – no, we will keep it as now (1.5M rp/year) and raise it next year.
- It was also discussed to reach out to clubs in other countries. If you have a relationship with Rotary clubs outside Indonesia or know members of such clubs, please contact Bruce.
- Bruce said that since we now have 15+ members, the club needs ideas for more projects. If you have ideas, please forward them to Allan.
- Some projects that RC Seminyak works with are:
- Cleft Lip / Palate operation,
- Elementary School Library,
- Leprosy Detection and Eradication,
- Goat Micro Credit Project-Nusa Penida,
- Scholarship-Nusa Penida
- JFF and more
- Some projects that RC Seminyak works with are:
Our upcoming speakers:
- 26 June: Ron Lilly – the snake Expert to answer all your questions about snakes. How can you tell which ones are poisonous? What should you do if you are a loved one is bitten? Learn more.
- July 31- Sjaki’s Warung, across from the soccer field in Ubud – helps and educates children with a mental disability on Bali. Hear what they do to help these beautiful children.
- August 28 – Melati and Isabel Wijse– these 2 teenagers founded Bye Bye Plastic Bags in Bali and have now spread the concept all over Indonesia. Learn how they did it and why.
- Sept 25 – famous author – Bill Dalton. The creator of the original travel book about Bali – The Bali Handbook and founder of Moon Publishing. Now a world renowned travel author. Find out things you never knew about Bali and other places in Indonesia. Have all your questions answered.
- Oct+We are always looking for great speakers for our meetings on the last Monday of every month. Know someone you think would be of interest to the members and other guests? Contact us: “meetings AT rotarybaliubudsunset.org”
Our next meeting will be Monday, 29 May at Maya 5:30-7PM. Chris Sperduto – Helmets for Kids project is now island wide. He has headed up the effort to supply helmets to 5 and 6 year olds whose parents cannot afford them. Learn how and why he is doing that.