Bulletin 25 January 2016
Rotary Club Bali Ubud Sunset
District 3420 / No. 79571
Meeting every Monday at 5:30 PM at Maya Ubud Resort, Ubud
“Adults are just outdated children”. Dr. Seuss
Bulletin January 25, 2016
Members: Allan, Penny, Richard, Danielle, Bruce
ANNOUNCEMENTS, CORRESPONDENCE, REPORTS
The big news is that next week’s meeting on February 1st has been rescheduled to Wednesday, February 3rd as a Joint Meeting with the Seminyak club. It will be at the
beautiful Trans Resort Bali. Jl. Sunset Road, Kuta Utara, Kabupaten Badung, Bali. Phone:(0361) 8981234. Google map:
Fellowship starts at 12:00 noon and lunch from 12:30 – 2:00 pm. It will be conducted as a Regular Club Meeting and each of the clubs will be invited to share on
Projects/New Member Induction or really whatever you feel is appropriate. They have a laptop available for plug-ins for any short power point presentations, a screen and two microphones. I believe it will be a great opportunity for us all to be together and to share information and renew rotary friendships for the future.
RSVP is REQUIRED! Cal or leave a message with the Seminyak President Barb Mackenzie at 081338764606 with how many are coming and if you rood choice is meat or vegetarian*. Looking forward to your kind replies.
Pres. Allan greeted everyone with some good news. VP Bruce has returned after a break (and a month in California with his wife Catharine). Bruce also mentioned that after extensive tests at the VA hospital while in Calif. He is CANCER FREE! His oncologist said: “I don’t know what you’re doing, but keep doing it!”
Allan had met last week with Bruce and Ros who have volunteered to update our website calendar on a regular basis: http://rotarybaliubudsunset.org/meetings-events-calendar/ Should be complete this week.
Allan also mentioned that the Facebook page of Ubud Then And Now will do an article about our club. Should be interesting. https://www.facebook.com/ubudnowandthen/?fref=ts
Several awards were presented. Both Bruce and TRF Danielle were presented with pins showing that they had each sponsored THREE members. So get busy and top that!
We also did some ‘brain storming’ about last week’s topic of ‘Meeting Formats and ideas’. These included:
- Once a month formal meeting with guest speakers and in between less formal ‘cafe‘ style meetings”, possible venues and guest speakers were brainstormed as well as possible fellowship activities
- Possible venues: Moksa; Taksu; The Mansion; Ibu Oka; Bali Udang;
- Possible speakers: Hanging gardens; Chef Made Runatha from Moksa; David – guest house with hydro generator and organic garden; Regina; Ruccina – on anything; Kaler – PhD in Balinese Culture (Hinduism); Australian Consulate; Rotaract; Helmet feedback from local perspective. Balinese dancing/dancer/teacher. In addition, it was agreed that any speaker needs to be involved in their own way of ‘giving back to the community’. For instance, Chef Made Runatha from Moksa, is doing organic gardening and teaching the locals how to do that for themselves.
- We need to get full names and addresses and contact info for potential speakers and find out convenient times. Imperative that the event is advertised and an audience is found for these speakers…could be embarrassing if only 4 people turn up!!
- If you want to add anything to this list, please let Allan know.
- see informal meeting minutes of 11th January plus
- Helmet project
Ongoing commitment to mobile library – need for more books. Are we going to buy more?
- See Allan’s email
Possible New projects:
- The club needs to identify needs in the community.
- The need is there and funding available and will go to servicing the community emphasis being on self-sustaining community based and built.
- Bruce suggested doctor and dentist visits to local schools. Rumah Sehat is doing this. Are we going to sponsor?
- Suggested that we might build on what we have established in Kerangasem.
- Need to decide on priorities and focus for the year. See Allan’s suggested budget.
*Dinner includes Appetizer, Main Course (veggie or meat), and dessert with tea or coffee. Fee is 160,000Rp